The Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree is designed to prepare students for research careers in academia and industry. It is offered exclusively as a full-time program.
There is a minimum residency requirement at KAUST of 3.5 years for students entering with a B.S. degree and 2.5 years for students entering with an M.S. degree. A minimum GPA of 3.0 must be achieved on all Doctoral coursework. Individual courses require a minimum of a B- to earn course credit.
The Ph.D. degree includes the following steps:
- Securing a Dissertation Advisor
- Successful completion of program coursework
- Passing the Qualifying Examination
- Passing the Dissertation Proposal Defense to obtain candidacy status
- Preparing, submitting and successfully defending a Doctoral dissertation